Lanox Oracle
    Dec 2013

The New Raven AMA

Okay. I really am bored.

Just like the title says, ask me anything about Raven. This includes not only game related things, but also aspects about the character as well.

*edit I don't play KR, unfortunately, but I would love to.

*edit 2 Anyone who asks me a PvE question I cannot answer gets 75 million ED

Elder Citizen
    Mar 2014
    Well I guess I should go first.

What made you pick Raven in the first place? Do you play any other characters besides him? and also which ignition crow is better for PVP?

Lanox Oracle
    Dec 2013
    It was mainly his personality and backstory that made me pick him in the first place.

I tend to like the characters with that cold kind of personality at first, serious, and slightly hostile. I do not mind tsundere at all, but essentially, yes. My little sister was put off just by his base promotional; he was shirtless. I did have a Void Princess (my very first character) before I got addicted to the sound effect of Veteran Commander's XX~X and >>^X~X. Then I was pulled in even more by his Overheat system. Then I took a liking on him as a character overall, and made my other Ravens. The thing is, RF is abandoned, and BM... I don't even know when I'll start him.

For PvP, it depends on whether it's 3v3 or 1v1. Ignition Crow Napalm is a lot more useful in 3v3 as the fire hitstuns; you can use this to help your team mates. In a 1v1 match, they can just completely avoid the fire. It also depends on the stage; it is obviously more effective on a smaller stage. Ignition Crow Incinerator has a useful vertical and slightly backwards hitbox, and the damage isn't that bad, either. Personally, I would go with Napalm for PvP, but since I have a PvE build, I have Incinerator. All the monsters falling simultaneously is just so satisfying in my eyes.

And as you can see in my signature, I do not have any other characters other than Raven. If you're wondering what happened to my Void Princess, I deleted her when she was at level 48. I still remember transferring all her items over to my VC, and it was kind of sad, but as I got used to Raven, Aisha just suddenly seemed too slow, and so was Rena.

Hamel Guardian
    Jun 2011
    LV-426
    oki doki...
    VC question..for some reason i dont like ignition crow...like at all
    my current skill tree is : http://brokendisc.web.fc2.com/elswor...01000606040002 shall i change it to this?: http://brokendisc.web.fc2.com/elswor...01000006040002
    also shall i change my ground impact for mega drill break(it gets skill note and ignores defence with 100% critical)< this one applies for all my ravens

Lanox Oracle
    Dec 2013
    Firstly, I would like to question why you have not maxed Mercenary Behaviour.
    Now to explain some things in your builds.

There is no point putting more points into Napalm Grenade. It should not be a damage tool at all; it should be for utility, because you can catch with it in PvP.
    You only need to max Air Slicer if you feel you are using Air Slicer a lot. I don't find I do that often, and I see maxing it as a waste of SP, but that's just me.
    Shadow Technique of the Mercenary - Victory should be put to level 6 and not maxed because level 7 has the same effect as level 6. It increases your overheat cap and increases the range of HP in which you do not take any overheat damage.

Ignition Crow Incinerator, in terms of field clearing, is superior to Revolver Cannon OP Bomb. Not only does the former do more damage, it also has a very nice vertical and slightly backwards hitbox, which allows you to hit targets that Revolver Cannon would not be able to reach. I love Ignition Crow; in fact, it's my favourite skill in this game, but that's just my opinion. If you focus more on PvP, however, you might find yourself not using Ignition Crow at all. Noted Revolver Cannon could become quite handy in PvP because of the mana cost.

Now, regarding the Mega Drill Break, it should be alright. You already have two actives to spam, which are Haze Explosion and Fatal Wound, so Ground Impact does not look necessary at all. I heard Mega Drill Break does not do well around corners, and I have never heard of this skill note that you are talking about. I have picked neither Ground Impact nor Mega Drill Break because I deem both of them useless and a waste of points, but that's my opinion.

Elder Citizen
    Apr 2013
    Does Giga Drive -- Seismic Tremor work well as an AoE front-side clearer in PvE? I picked Limiter initially, but I'm just not finding situations where I'd rather use Limiter over Bloody Accel, Shockwave or Zerker Blade. On the other hand, BM seems completely starved for good AoE clearing ability -- is Seismic any good at it?

Hamel Guardian
    Jun 2011
    LV-426
    hmm doesnt Mercenary Behaviour reduces the time you are overheated?
    about ignition crow.i love the fact it courves but harpoon spear is alot better in terms of damage.also IC is a kinda low skill meaning that from the time you cast it till the time its released it may hit nothing cause your party may killed all mobs..in other words HS beats IC.thats why i was thinking of using revolver cannon(i have the skill note too)
    here are the new skill notes added in KR: http://elwiki.net/babel/?p=1454 (so we will get em too eventually,i just need to have my skill builds fixed since i dont have a way to get KC for skill resets)
    now i made these builds: IC- http://brokendisc.web.fc2.com/elswor...06000601040002 RC- http://brokendisc.web.fc2.com/elswor...06000001040002

Lanox Oracle
    Dec 2013
    @ acoteomg

Looking at the damage, it should be alright. If Giga Drive - Seismic Tremor works for you, then go for it. My PvE build that I have planned is Giga Drive- Limiter and Hypersonic Stab. Seismic Tremor isn't the best field clearer out there, but it works nonetheless.

@ gasp007
    Overheat is not counted as a debuff, and if you read the skill description in-game, it actually lists which debuffs it reduces the time of. Overheat is not one of them. Mercenary Behaviour also decreases the amount of overheat damage you take by somewhere around 60% when maxed. Decreased overheat damage is good.

I actually have never had that issue where my party killed all the mobs before the crow could hit. The invincibility frames are also useful to me, especially when I'm fighting Karis' True Form, she's awakened and Revolver Cannon is still on cooldown.

And about the skill notes, thank you for providing the page. Mega Drill Break should no longer be that bad anymore, but it does not look viable at all still in PvE. PvP, it may be okay, but I cannot do any testing, and I don't have the KC to do any testing.

Ignition Crow is probably the best field clearing skill Veteran Commander has. The reason why you want it is because of the range. Yes, Harpoon Spear is a lot better in terms of damage, but only mobs hit with the impact explosion take the most amount of damage, and that hitbox, even though it's larger than it actually looks, is small, very small compared to Ignition Crow.

Or, instead of me being biased and telling you all of that, trying out the two builds is probably the best way to see whether Ignition Crow is for you or not. Looking at your build, do you use Bursting Blade often and as a damage tool? Some people find Bursting Blade useful for it's invincibility frames, and it's even more useful with Air Slicer, but others, like me, find it completely useless and not worth the points. So again, the best way is trying out the build for yourself.

Elder Citizen
    Mar 2014
    I can't chose between Shadow Backslide and Overheat mode:activated. They both seem really good, what do you think is better?

Lanox Oracle
    Dec 2013
    I really can't say which one I like better since I have never tried Shadow Backslide before.

If you want PvP/Hybrid builds, then Shadow Backslide. If you're pure PvE, then Activate Overheat Mode.

The mind games that you can play with Shadow Backslide (and along with Shadow Thrusting) is amazing. I feel jealous just watching people do it. It also procs core, which is handy, but the backflip animation isn't invincible, so you still have to be careful with that.

I'm not sure whether I ever saw a notable damage increase when I got Activate Overheat Mode, but the overheat damage was now a lot more noticeable than before, and I die from not watching my HP and then taking a powerful blow, and I still die for pretty much the same reason. Eventually, you get used to the overheat damage, but... Anyway, with maxed Activate Overheat Mode, you pretty much have an almost 50% damage amplifier the entire dungeon, since you are pretty much awakened the entire dungeon; double overheat stacks gives you an almost 30% damage amplifier, which is pretty good.

So basically, if you care about PvP, get Shadow Backslide. Shadow Backslide works in PvE too; I have seen people speed run dungeons with Shadow Backslide instead of Activate Overheat Mode. If you don't care about PvP, Activate Overheat Mode would be for you, if you are appealed by its damage amplifier, but you have to be careful with your HP.

•