Genjutsu User
    Mar 2012

Dev Diary 3/3/2016: Elsword Season 2 Update: The Final Chapter The Wrap Up

Ruben Villager
    Jan 2016
    Its cool you guys give these Dev blogs which give us a insight into what you have been upto and what your planning to do etc, its useful to see the devs are caring or atleast have the idea of the community in mind.

I gotta be alittle nitpicky however, in the blog:

"That being said. We are fully aware that some of the NA voices aren’t to the likings of every player, and we were fully aware of this going into the venture of recording English voices. Making sure that our players have the option to choose between the all new EN voices and original KR voice talent was not only an option, but it was just the right thing to do. We realize that we have some very dedicated, old-school Elsword and anime fans that love original dialogue. At KOG, we love them all. So, it’s a win-win as far as we’re concerned."

Beside the Eve fanboi's screaming bloody murder, the other comments made, including myself, were related to sound quality e.g. tones, emotion accents, volume levels not being correct or not syncing with ingame animation and skill usage.

In the other paragraph from the blog it seems to come across that people are just simple unhappy with the voice choices and in a polite way, shut up and use Korean voice overs if you have issues. The blog doesn't really seem to acknowledge the issues which I just mentioned prior or bugs/refinement being done to the sounds to make sure they fall into the professional standard of the rest of the game.

In the previous revamp feedback thread I mentioned personally about Elesis's melee grunts being really loud and on to many abilities, which was not a singular opinion but shared by quite alot of people and video evidence also shown just how abrupt and grating it can be. I noticed with this new revamp of Add and Luciel the sounds hadn't been adjusted to be more subtle in volume and reduced on amount of times it triggers on abilities.

Maybe I've just read the devblog in the wrong context but it ends up coming across to the player that KoG decision is final, you got Korean voices, you don't like NA, tough use KR, were not doing anything else to them (contray to the Hanna voice change due to it be really out of context vocally with animation and character establishment).

I think really the blog post, especially with it being a wrapup for season 2 in regards to revamps should have had some part of it addressing that yes, as you noted people maybe unhappy with the dubbed voiced, however we are going to do some refinement sweeps and make sure the sounds could be less annoying/sync up with abilities/balanced volume wise with abilities and other characters so everyone is happy in the end run.

Maybe the acknowledge and process will be highlighted in a new dev blog, but either way it would have been nice to know you were working on it in the last revamp dev blog, rather than a rather PR-ish type post of "Some ain't happy, go use KR then" in a polite way.

As noted, I enjoy the dubbed voices, I just think refinement on volume and ability sync with what is heard with what you see needs tightening up and some sounds need to be less prominant. e.g. Melee grunts shouldn't really be louder vocally than the vocalisation of the ability name by characters who shout them out. You already acknowledged Add's voice is to low in volume and your doing something about it, just be nice to know if your going to be doing some refinement passes to the rest so everyone can enjoy it without having to swap back to KR to have balanced sound or play lower audio because a few vocal parts of characters are louder than they should be.

Maybe this post come across nitpicky or negative, but I feel as a player and a customer(yeah I've used the item mall so technically classified under customer to) that feedback like this needs to land in the developers laps and taken note of so the professional quality remains at a standard which is equal to the rest of the content been made available.

Sounds a big immersion factor, its why people are pretty passionate about it to be honest and can get heated, it brings to life characters etc, but if its not done right it can spoil alot of what the player is experiencing and put them off in the long run.

Edit: Also before anyone jumps on my throat saying "you don't know how its done or how differcult it is to do!", actually I do know how its done and how differcult it is as I test and help with develop of sound pack creation/refinement for simulator games which covers Aircraft, steam locomotives/diesel/cars/ships and ambient sounds for environment stuff, compared to voiceover stuff its alot more differcult to do since you have noise polution to deal with and bleed which is a pain in the ♥♥♥ to refine into good audio and cannot simple ask a vehicle to redo its audio as it will sound different every time.

Hamel Guardian
    Mar 2011
    Sounds a big immersion factor, its why people are pretty passionate about it to be honest and can get heated, it brings to life characters etc, but if its not done right it can spoil alot of what the player is experiencing and put them off in the long run.

Edit: Also before anyone jumps on my throat saying "you don't know how its done or how differcult it is to do!", actually I do know how its done and how differcult it is as I test and help with develop of sound pack creation/refinement for simulator games which covers Aircraft, steam locomotives/diesel/cars/ships and ambient sounds for environment stuff, compared to voiceover stuff its alot more differcult to do since you have noise polution to deal with and bleed which is a pain in the ♥♥♥ to refine into good audio and cannot simple ask a vehicle to redo its audio as it will sound different every time.
    You sir are a gentleman, and a scholar. You deserve praise of the greatest prestige without snark nor sarcasm.

great post. ( ^w^)b

Ruben Villager
    Jun 2014
    Frozen Over Hell
    Please get rid of the >>XXX noise BH makes.
    my ears bleed.
    Make Eve sound more robotic, to fit her better.
    Add needs more of the long-lasting lines like Bryce's Komaeda role. please. My Komaeda-loving こころ needs it ;-;
    my guesses for Aisha and Chung: usami and tails.
    everyone else is either nitpicking or just fine.

Altera Savior
    Mar 2013
    The Abyss
    Its nice to see Dev Diary getting a speck of light after all this time... but still... when's Grand Chase costumes?

•