Elder Citizen
    Jul 2016
    I would just like to say thanks to your guide. It was a big help in perfecting my play style.

I do have a few questions to ask, if possible:

With how much RNG involved in Heroic Gear, how about Henir equipment?

I play in Random Queue, and most of the time when I cast Shadow Bolt, it either completely misses or someone (or usually myself) would have bad internet and half the spears won't fall. Is Demonic Breath a decent enough alternative?

Feita Knight
    Sep 2011
    Lurking in the Chung sub-forum
    1. I would just like to say thanks to your guide. It was a big help in perfecting my play style.

I do have a few questions to ask, if possible:

2. With how much RNG involved in Heroic Gear, how about Henir equipment?

3. I play in Random Queue, and most of the time when I cast Shadow Bolt, it either completely misses or someone (or usually myself) would have bad internet and half the spears won't fall. Is Demonic Breath a decent enough alternative?
    1. No problem, glad I could help~

2. Henir gear is good for raw stats, but that's about it. Most of the set effects are underwhelming, and since the best effect is on the 5pc (+10% Physical/Magical Attack), you either use the full set, or none of the set. You get that exact same boost by using two Heroic 2pc sets, since each Heroic 2pc gives +5% Physical/Magical Attack, and also get the bonus of extra effect lines. Even with the lower base stats, I'd still use Secret Dungeon gear over Henir, simply because the set effects are so much better.

3. Sadly, no. Heavy Demonic Breath's total damage comes to 5,506.2%, while Shadow Bolt with no traits at all comes in at 6,804%. It also gets Final [Enhanced] at lv93, raising its total damage to 8,164%. And it gets six extra spears with Noblesse Oblige, raising its damage to 12,240%. AND if you give it Heavy? 18,360%. Shadow Bolt's total damage with Heavy is more than three Heavy Demonic Breaths, for only 50 more MP, and with a shorter cooldown. That's not even mentioning the fact that Shadow Bolt's utility is much higher, since you can drop it off and then continue to use other skills in the meantime. I would try to provide an alternative to Shadow Bolt, but... there really isn't any. It's NB's strongest skill for raw damage, even slightly edging out Rain of Chaos' absurd double-side damage (18,338%), and there aren't any other Lu swaps that can compare to it.

Elder Citizen
    Jul 2016
    Thanks for the reply. Guess I could start selling those Time Crystals I've been saving up.

The damage doesn't really matter if the spell misses, though, but I see your point. Would you recommend Shadow Bolt as a switching skill or it is purely for bossing?

Feita Knight
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the reply. Guess I could start selling those Time Crystals I've been saving up.

The damage doesn't really matter if the spell misses, though, but I see your point. Would you recommend Shadow Bolt as a switching skill or it is purely for bossing?
    It's great to use for both. Assuming the skill functions properly, you can either drag the skill around and two-shot most normal enemies with it, or leave it in place. Ideally, you want to develop a rotation of skills that will allow you to cycle between your Combination Skills while bossing, and if possible, also have five Gathered Soul stacks before each CP skill use. Shadow Bolt is a really great skill for this, since it fills 4CP, has amazing single-target damage, and can be dropped and forgotten while you start using other skills. Here's a poorly drawn sample flowchart that shows my bossing rotation:

Elder Citizen
    Jul 2016
    I've just unlocked Castle of Abaddon and I've got nine slots to work with:

• Marbas (Critical)
    • Spectral Spear (Critical)
    • Soul Extortion (Gigantic)
    • Shadow Bolt (Heavy) or Demonic Breath (None)Whenever I get annoying teammates that don't respect the Shadow Bolt
    • Eschaton (Gigantic) in T-Slot 1
    • Flick Shot (Haste)Lu's Sniper Mode has such massive MP gain that it gives her nearly infinite amounts of mana
    • Rain of Chaos
    • Stomp (Gigantic) or Active Skill
    • Aura of Punishment (Killing Blow 1)

Which do I replace?

Feita Knight
    Sep 2011
    I've just unlocked Castle of Abaddon and I've got nine slots to work with:

• Marbas (Critical)
    • Spectral Spear (Critical)
    • Soul Extortion (Gigantic)
    • Shadow Bolt (Heavy) or Demonic Breath (None)Whenever I get annoying teammates that don't respect the Shadow Bolt
    • Eschaton (Gigantic) in T-Slot 1
    • Flick Shot (Haste)Lu's Sniper Mode has such massive MP gain that it gives her nearly infinite amounts of mana
    • Rain of Chaos
    • Stomp (Gigantic) or Active Skill
    • Aura of Punishment (Killing Blow 1)

Which do I replace?
    Drop Marbas. The patch this week included the 1st Job PvE/PvP split, which made Marbas lose nearly 60% of its damage, making it pretty mediocre compared to NB's other options.

Also I'm sorry I didn't notice your PM until today, I'm not logged on to the forums all the time aaaaaa

Ruben Villager
    Jan 2017
    So after the Second Job PvE/PvP Tooltip, any changes to used skills?
    Shadow Bolt (w/ Trans passive) : 12 240% > 11 718% (Small Nerf)
    Soul Sigil (Solo) : 1711% > 1574% (Small Nerf)
    Twilight Judgment : 4220% > 5884% (Buff)
    FI-2 : 5902% > 5070% (Nerf)
    Swift Smash (w/ Souls) : 1239% > 1126% (Small Nerf)
    Spectral Spear (w/ Souls) : 3598 > 3353% (Small Nerf)
    Castle of Abaddon : 18 558% > 21 752% (Buff)

Soul Entrapment : 2065% > 2450% (Small Buff)
    Soul Spread (w/ Souls) : 4112% > 4040% (Small Nerf)
    Magdonic Cannon : 4252% > 6416% (Buff)
    Rain of Chaos (Theoretical Max) : 16 374% > 19 218% (Buff, lol)

From some quick training, Magdonic still doesn't really hurt as much [a third of shadow bolt's damage]
    But I think Soul Entrapment might be good? It does the same as spectral spear against one target, but triple when against 5 of the training dummies.

Oh, and for attributes: Is Dark 3 Water 1 [Dark 2 Water 2 / Dark 1 Water 3] good? Or is Water 4 / Dark 4 still better?

Elder Citizen
    Jul 2016
    So after the Second Job PvE/PvP Tooltip, any changes to used skills?
    Shadow Bolt (w/ Trans passive) : 12 240% > 11 718% (Small Nerf)
    Soul Sigil (Solo) : 1711% > 1574% (Small Nerf)
    Twilight Judgment : 4220% > 5884% (Buff)
    FI-2 : 5902% > 5070% (Nerf)
    Swift Smash (w/ Souls) : 1239% > 1126% (Small Nerf)
    Spectral Spear (w/ Souls) : 3598 > 3353% (Small Nerf)
    Castle of Abaddon : 18 558% > 21 752% (Buff)

Soul Entrapment : 2065% > 2450% (Small Buff)
    Soul Spread (w/ Souls) : 4112% > 4040% (Small Nerf)
    Magdonic Cannon : 4252% > 6416% (Buff)
    Rain of Chaos (Theoretical Max) : 16 374% > 19 218% (Buff, lol)

From some quick training, Magdonic still doesn't really hurt as much [a third of shadow bolt's damage]
    But I think Soul Entrapment might be good? It does the same as spectral spear against one target, but triple when against 5 of the training dummies.

Oh, and for attributes: Is Dark 3 Water 1 [Dark 2 Water 2 / Dark 1 Water 3] good? Or is Water 4 / Dark 4 still better?

How do you compute for these numbers?

Ruben Villager
    Jan 2017
    I got them from one of the posts on this thread:
    https://elswordforum.koggames.com/sh...peration/page9

Now that you mention it, they might be wrong though. I'm just kind of hoping they're right.

Elder Citizen
    Jul 2016
    Considering this is a guide, can we still comment even if it's been more than a few months?

What is your opinion on Henir 5/5 set?

•