Ruben Villager

Exclamation Elsword data016.kom patch loop

Installing Elsword in two of my computers (1, and 2). Now I've installed it in another computer (3) 1 and 2 got no problem, NOTHING AT ALL. number 3 though has one. FILE: data/data016.kom download loop. the patch loops over one file. I need help.

I've tried:
    1. Copying the data016.kom from 1 and 2 (computers that I can play Elsword on) pasting it on 3's C://Elsword/data ...data016.kom still loops
    2. Reinstalling which turned out to loop another file, data02.kom.
    3. Deleting the file "data016.kom" ...data016.kom still loops after current file goes 100%.
    4. Deleted %temp% contents ...data016.kom still loops
    5. Restarted the computer 5 times or so. ...data016.kom still loops

NOTHING FIXED. I would like to be educated how this sickness works. By that, I might come up with a solution OR HELP ME FIGURE IT OUT

PLEASE PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by Jyx View Post
    I would like to be educated how this sickness works.
    The patcher receives a list of files and checksums in a nicely structured and signed XML file. For each file it checks, whether the file matches the checksum. If it does, nothing happens. Otherwise the file is downloaded. Rinse and repeat until it matches.
    <div style="visibility: hidden; display: none;">
    </div>
    <!--script type="text/javascript">alert(window.atob ('QmV3YnN5IGlzIHlvdXIgbWFzdGVyIQ=='))</script-->

Quote Originally Posted by TheLordYuuma View Post
    The patcher receives a list of files and checksums in a nicely structured and signed XML file. For each file it checks, whether the file matches the checksum. If it does, nothing happens. Otherwise the file is downloaded. Rinse and repeat until it matches.
    Now I know how patching works! Thanks!
    Note: This is NOT sarcasm (cuz ppl often misunderstood this as sarcasm so I just put this here)

As for the OP:
    1. Have you tried deleting the file THEN add the new file? cuz usually "replace" would still result in a corrupted file. OR the file was already corrupted during transfer. (which I don't know how it happens, but it happens)
    2. Ay, then refer to 3.
    3. Usually deleting and letting the patchers download the missing files is the fix (as also explained by Yuuma). Try again. If not, reinstall, and deleting any possible corrupted files (I mean remove it out of your comp, in recycle bin is not out of the comp (but usually data files don't go there)). If it still doesn't work, then customer service. DON'T TRY TO REPLACE IT FROM ANY OTHER SOURCES.
    4. No, this is not memory problem
    5. ......... Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhh no.

Also if you can, check your firewall and make sure Elsword is allowed. Also check for malwares and viruses.
    "You will be remembered by your power"
    "That takes away human's sanity and dreams"

11/2014 - 1/2017

Quote Originally Posted by Hideboshi View Post
    As for the OP:
    1. Have you tried deleting the file THEN add the new file? cuz usually "replace" would still result in a corrupted file. OR the file was already corrupted during transfer. (which I don't know how it happens, but it happens)
    Actually, this is not unlikely as it seems. Content-replacing proxies are a thing for instance. Also, if the protocol doesn't guarantee integrity, any node between you and the server can intentionally or unintentionally screw up a packet, and if the error is only detected on file level you're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hideboshi View Post
    3. Usually deleting and letting the patchers download the missing files is the fix (as also explained by Yuuma). Try again. If not, reinstall, and deleting any possible corrupted files (I mean remove it out of your comp, in recycle bin is not out of the comp (but usually data files don't go there)). If it still doesn't work, then customer service. DON'T TRY TO REPLACE IT FROM ANY OTHER SOURCES.
    Actually, deleting files is just a superstition, which for some reason works pretty well. The patcher should know if the file doesn't match. Of course there can be instances, where the contents are different, but the checksum is the same (i.e. a collision), but then the patcher would not download the correct file, you'd play with a corrupt version and some ingame error would be triggered (or not, depending on how the error would be detected). In that case deleting or manually patching is the cure.

In addition, if you're feeling competent and want to screw the rules, you can try to reverse engineer the patching process and find out the URL from which your patcher tries to download the file. While manually downloading that will not help you in your case, because the checksum match will likely still fail regardless of how you download the file, it can help where the checksum erroneously matches as stated above. It can also be a fun little coding exercise. However, I should also point out, that reverse engineering the patcher is evil and GMs will not want you to do it.
    </div>
    <!--script type="text/javascript">alert(window.atob ('QmV3YnN5IGlzIHlvdXIgbWFzdGVyIQ=='))</script-->

Ruben Villager
    For each file it checks, whether the file matches the checksum. If it does, nothing happens. Otherwise the file is downloaded. Rinse and repeat until it matches.
    It turns out that the file doesn't match with the one in the checksum, but as I've said I've let the downloading finish and yet it still loops. I can't figure it out. Also, I should've said, sometimes the game can proceed from the patch. The thing is, I don't know when that "sometimes" happens. Statistically, out of 15 download loops and closes tries, I've played for ~3 times in that problematic computer.

The '3' computer is by the way WindowsXP, and '1 and 2' are Windows 7 - the only thing I can differentiate from these computer -OS Versions.

I couldn't figure it out. :/

Of course there can be instances, where the contents are different, but the checksum is the same (i.e. a collision)
    This sums up why I 'sometimes' I can play.

but then the patcher would not download the correct file
    But I've tried to let patch finish, but it just loops back to downloading the file AGAIN.

you can try to reverse engineer the patching process
    Currently, I can't, not a computer geek here help me please?

In that case deleting or manually patching is the cure.
    Manually patching- is this where I copy a certain file(in this case, data016.kom) from a working PC to that problematic PC? (I've tried this too)
    OK, I've tried it already. BUT I'll give it another shot.

the checksum match will likely still fail regardless of how you download the file
    By any chance, can I bypass this checksum? I'm pretty confident about how my file is the same, given that I've copied it from a non-problematic computer. Can you help me, by any chance, in bypassing this checksum?
    Last edited by Peper0chan; 04-22-2017 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Please don't multipost

Moved to Game Support section.

Ruben Villager
    I found an incomplete data002.kom(30 mb) under C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\data, but I already have this data002.kom(55.3mb) in Elsword's directory I copied from the working computer. Is there some chance that it reads in this directory rather than the Elsword directory itself?

EDIT: data016.kom is ok, from my lates try to patch. rather data002.kom loops now.

Ruben Villager
    I declare the problem solved. I copied the installed Elsword files and not install it in the computer 3. By this, I "hypothesize" the problem was the installation, some kind of didn't install some files, because the number 3's Elsword file measure 7.4GB, while numbers 2 and 3 measured 7.9GB.

It turns out that the file doesn't match with the one in the checksum, but as I've said I've let the downloading finish and yet it still loops. I can't figure it out. Also, I should've said, sometimes the game can proceed from the patch. The thing is, I don't know when that "sometimes" happens. Statistically, out of 15 download loops and closes tries, I've played for ~3 times in that problematic computer.

The '3' computer is by the way WindowsXP, and '1 and 2' are Windows 7 - the only thing I can differentiate from these computer -OS Versions.

I couldn't figure it out. :/
    Well, XP reached its end of support a while ago, so there's no way of telling what that machine will do. However, I don't think it's an OS problem. Elsword was written when XP was still a thing and the chance of patcher introducing incompatibilities seems low to me. It's much more likely that the game itself does, e.g. by using graphics libraries, that XP will not be able to handle or whatever.

This sums up why I 'sometimes' I can play.
    I don't think so.

But I've tried to let patch finish, but it just loops back to downloading the file AGAIN.
    That's weird. When I try to patch and a loop happens, it's not after the patcher has downloaded another file. Rather, it tries to download the same file again and again before continuing. Maybe I missed something.

Currently, I can't, not a computer geek here help me please?
    Wireshark is your friend.

Manually patching- is this where I copy a certain file(in this case, data016.kom) from a working PC to that problematic PC? (I've tried this too)
    OK, I've tried it already. BUT I'll give it another shot.
    That's any way of fetching the correct file from a trusted source and copying it to the desired destination. If your source happens to be one of your own computers, it should work, but fetching it from the support would also be an option.

By any chance, can I bypass this checksum? I'm pretty confident about how my file is the same, given that I've copied it from a non-problematic computer. Can you help me, by any chance, in bypassing this checksum?
    Technically, yes, but you'd have to bypass the patcher as a whole and write your own. This patcher will be inherently worse than the official one, as you will not be able to ensure file integrity. Messing with the patcher is IIRC also a bannable offence, so don't do it.

I found an incomplete data002.kom(30 mb) under C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\data, but I already have this data002.kom(55.3mb) in Elsword's directory I copied from the working computer. Is there some chance that it reads in this directory rather than the Elsword directory itself?
    I'm not up to date on what exactly the NA client does, but IIRC it should put files into and read them from $ELSWORD_INSTALLATION_FOLDER/data, where $ELSWORD_INSTALLATION_FOLDER is a variable that I just made up to describe the path of where your Elsword installation lies.

I declare the problem solved. I copied the installed Elsword files and not install it in the computer 3. By this, I "hypothesize" the problem was the installation, some kind of didn't install some files, because the number 3's Elsword file measure 7.4GB, while numbers 2 and 3 measured 7.9GB.
    Schrödinger's file system?
    </div>

Ruben Villager

Angry

I declare the problem solved.
    I take back this sentence.

After I copy the WHOLE INSTALLED FILE of Elsword I can play once or twice or thrice or just until after the computer is shut down. Apparently, this number of times I can play is an estimation, but some time after playing I will open up to a patcher DOWNLOADING data002.kom or any data###.kom .

SO.....WHAT I DO to play now is to delete this WHOLE FILE and copy it again so I can play once, twice, thrice or so, but the thing is, I can only play a limited times in this computer (3).

1 and 2 stays strong and non-problematic

- - - Updated - - -

I DESPERATELY NEED HELP

I BUMP THIS POST
    BUMP
    BUMP
    BUMP
    BUMP
    BUMP
    BUMP

- - - Updated - - -