Ruben Villager
    Feb 2015
    Cornwall

Veteran Commander El Resonance build?

So, Ive just reached lvl 99 and started working on Resonance but wondered what the best way to spend my points would be? I though getting more HP/MP would help since I'd be using lots of HP due to Overheat and Ive also spent some points toward MP skill cooldown and consumption. Any advice on what the best road would be? (If it helps, Im prepping for Void dungeons and use a few long I-frame skills such as Deadly Raid and Hellfire Gatling)

Also, side note, anyone know for certain how Overheat recoil damage is calculated? I just have this suspicion that getting more HP might not be worth it if recoil damage is calculated the way i think its calculated.

Lanox Oracle
    Dec 2013
    Recoil damage is calculated off the amount of damage you do. I believe the formula is 20% of the damage you do, and then this is reduced further by Mercenary Behaviour. (RC seems to apply the overheat recoil damage twice for whatever reason)

As for ERP, I personally would recommend Strength damage increase, but MP cost reduction isn't a bad choice either. I wouldn't go for CD reduction because of Flames of Victory and because it's effectiveness is quite low unless you spend all 100 points into it. As for MP cost reduction vs HP/MP increase, the former if PvE, the latter if you do PvP in any way. Personally, I would rather put 100 points into one particular category to get maximum effectiveness of that, but it's up to you. I wouldn't go any lower than 50 in anything, though.

Ruben Villager
    Feb 2015
    Cornwall
    Spoiler:
    Recoil damage is calculated off the amount of damage you do. I believe the formula is 20% of the damage you do, and then this is reduced further by Mercenary Behaviour. (RC seems to apply the overheat recoil damage twice for whatever reason)

As for ERP, I personally would recommend Strength damage increase, but MP cost reduction isn't a bad choice either. I wouldn't go for CD reduction because of Flames of Victory and because it's effectiveness is quite low unless you spend all 100 points into it. As for MP cost reduction vs HP/MP increase, the former if PvE, the latter if you do PvP in any way. Personally, I would rather put 100 points into one particular category to get maximum effectiveness of that, but it's up to you. I wouldn't go any lower than 50 in anything, though.

Thanks for the advice, would you say my stats so far are fit for Void dungs? On the subject, whats the best way to deal with the 3 Berauks? I keep getting 1-shotted at that point.

Hamel Guardian
    Dec 2014
    Commencing the Cromwell invocation.
    MP cost reduction should be always the best choice for almost any character, following up with maybe HP/MP for VC, next should be Flex skill dmg if you stack Active dmg or Strength skill dmg (tho if you increase Strength skill dmg then the recoil dmg from Overheating would be more tremendous).

Thanks for the advice, would you say my stats so far are fit for Void dungs? On the subject, whats the best way to deal with the 3 Berauks? I keep getting 1-shotted at that point.
    Abusing the long invincible frame of Deadly Raid, the skill deals very high dmg and can stack OH x3, so longer animation, meanwhile you would be safe from almost all attacks (not counting DoTs) and buying time for consumables to end cd.

Ruben Villager
    Feb 2015
    Cornwall
    Spoiler:
    MP cost reduction should be always the best choice for almost any character, following up with maybe HP/MP for VC, next should be Flex skill dmg if you stack Active dmg or Strength skill dmg (tho if you increase Strength skill dmg then the recoil dmg from Overheating would be more tremendous).

Abusing the long invincible frame of Deadly Raid, the skill deals very high dmg and can stack OH x3, so longer animation, meanwhile you would be safe from almost all attacks (not counting DoTs) and buying time for consumables to end cd.

Yeah thats my current tactic but the problem is that theres no purchasable health potion that is actually worth it. Blessed potion is outdated and does nothing and everything else requires something other than ed to purchase. Therefore i rely solely on CR potions and orbs.

Hamel Guardian
    Dec 2014
    Commencing the Cromwell invocation.

Yeah thats my current tactic but the problem is that theres no purchasable health potion that is actually worth it. Blessed potion is outdated and does nothing and everything else requires something other than ed to purchase. Therefore i rely solely on CR potions and orbs.
    Doing Gate of Darkness and exchanging for Vigor Potion. Going to Hot springs and click on the Phoru who appearing from time to time for Eggs. Running current event dungeon also yielding Potions which healing 50% HP or 100% HP. Farm events for healing stuffs and using the free consumables whenever the events giving them out.

Ps: btw I think if you already aimed for Henir gear then just complete the 5/5 Henir, which is one of the best combination already. The Type-Void is mainly for when you having mixed builds.

Lanox Oracle
    Dec 2013
    What CaptCatalan said about ERP. If you're more focussed on survival and don't usually have issues in surviving (or have the mentality that 99.99% of all deaths can be fixed by being a better pilot like I do), I'd go for more damage in terms of setup in general. I'd like to also clarify that MP reduction is a viable option for all classes in PvE but it is always up to preference as to whether you want your skills to be cheaper or whether you want more damage from your skills. Since different classes have (usually) differing levels of MP issues, the viability of MP cost reduction changes depending on class.

Also from what CaptCatalan said, it'll be better to finish your Henir 5/5 if you haven't already rather than going through the time to run through the Void dungeon (which takes time, energy, and quite a bit of resources). The Henir set only really has it's full power with the full set effect (+10% in attack is quite a bit), and mixing it with something like the Void weapon weakens it's effectiveness quite dramatically, unless you're wanting to switch to Heroic gear. (The set that will grant the highest base stats is the Void weapon + Heroic armour, but Henir gear provides more utility and is therefore a better set in PvP, especially as the 2nd and 3rd lines in Heroic gear usually aren't as important in PvP as in PvE)

For tips against Berauk, I'd definitely bring Wind Orbs for that room so you can one-shot them faster (that seems like my strategy for the room, I just throw out my usual burst rotation and they're mostly gone). What is your consumable setup and do you have Extended Quick Slot? If you don't, then it's perfectly normal to struggle in the Void dungeon in general (going into the Void dungeon without Extended Quick Slot makes it a lot harder unless you're a class that can maintain MP very well with almost permanent i-frames and super armour like pre-Communion-nerf EE could). Also, what is your skill setup? If you use Wind Orb -> IC-N -> HS -> RC -> HA -> RC (even if you take Heavy RC, it's CD is still only 8 seconds from Flames of Victory and should be almost up, if not up, by the time you're done with your HA), that should perhaps get rid of at least one of them? Since two Berauks should be hit in that rotation with the third not taking full damage from it, at least dealing with one Berauk is a lot easier than dealing with three.

If you're going pure PvE, I'd take all that Add and Red damage (if they're not on identifications) and put it straight to Critical and Maximise. Add damage is severely outshined by Critical especially as VC mainly deals with high percentages (which is when Add damage falls off, I can explain this if you want) and that little bit of Red damage isn't really going to save you in many situations compared to if you have no Red damage at all.

Ruben Villager
    Feb 2015
    Cornwall
    What CaptCatalan said about ERP. If you're more focussed on survival and don't usually have issues in surviving (or have the mentality that 99.99% of all deaths can be fixed by being a better pilot like I do), I'd go for more damage in terms of setup in general. I'd like to also clarify that MP reduction is a viable option for all classes in PvE but it is always up to preference as to whether you want your skills to be cheaper or whether you want more damage from your skills. Since different classes have (usually) differing levels of MP issues, the viability of MP cost reduction changes depending on class.

Also from what CaptCatalan said, it'll be better to finish your Henir 5/5 if you haven't already rather than going through the time to run through the Void dungeon (which takes time, energy, and quite a bit of resources). The Henir set only really has it's full power with the full set effect (+10% in attack is quite a bit), and mixing it with something like the Void weapon weakens it's effectiveness quite dramatically, unless you're wanting to switch to Heroic gear. (The set that will grant the highest base stats is the Void weapon + Heroic armour, but Henir gear provides more utility and is therefore a better set in PvP, especially as the 2nd and 3rd lines in Heroic gear usually aren't as important in PvP as in PvE)

For tips against Berauk, I'd definitely bring Wind Orbs for that room so you can one-shot them faster (that seems like my strategy for the room, I just throw out my usual burst rotation and they're mostly gone). What is your consumable setup and do you have Extended Quick Slot? If you don't, then it's perfectly normal to struggle in the Void dungeon in general (going into the Void dungeon without Extended Quick Slot makes it a lot harder unless you're a class that can maintain MP very well with almost permanent i-frames and super armour like pre-Communion-nerf EE could). Also, what is your skill setup? If you use Wind Orb -> IC-N -> HS -> RC -> HA -> RC (even if you take Heavy RC, it's CD is still only 8 seconds from Flames of Victory and should be almost up, if not up, by the time you're done with your HA), that should perhaps get rid of at least one of them? Since two Berauks should be hit in that rotation with the third not taking full damage from it, at least dealing with one Berauk is a lot easier than dealing with three.

If you're going pure PvE, I'd take all that Add and Red damage (if they're not on identifications) and put it straight to Critical and Maximise. Add damage is severely outshined by Critical especially as VC mainly deals with high percentages (which is when Add damage falls off, I can explain this if you want) and that little bit of Red damage isn't really going to save you in many situations compared to if you have no Red damage at all.

Thanks for the advice!

I do indeed have extended slots. The potions I use consist mainly of CRPs, Mana potions, Light orbs and then basically anything else that is usefull that fits the 3 remaining spaces.

I use both Flames Swords, Both ICs, Haze Explosion, Shadow Step, RC, DR, IF and HA. I tend to abuse the I-frames from Deadly Raid against Berauk and then throw IC in whenever I can. I do also have a weapon accessory than reduces my cooldowns by 5 seconds at a 1% chance along with my cape, hair and costume suit set supplying me with a 10% of 5 second super armour and 30% damage reduction.

Most of the Add and Red damage do come from set effects but all my sockets are dedicated to Critical and Maximise.

Bethma Guard
    Oct 2015
    Seeking Inner Peace
    Most good VC builds that I find have a good mix of actives and Strength skills. VC can really utilize his actives well (great utility along with DPS) while having amazing burst from his Strength skills. Having Ifrit Flame or Giga Prominence is good too, yet those are Bravery skills.

MP Cost Reduction:
    Probably the best investment imo to keep both actives and Strength skills viable

Cooldown Reduction:
    This investment is highly underestimated for VC. I know Skyress mentioned Flames of Victory, yet IC-N's flames won't be around all the time. Besides, it doesn't hurt to have more cooldown reduction even if IC-N's flames are around. Despite having MP Cost Reduction, having Cooldown Reduction will greatly open up several Heavy traits and bring less worry about increased costs from Critical traits that exist on many of VC's skills. I'm pretty sure Cooldown Reduction is calculated after Heavy trait's cooldown increase, which makes Cooldown Reduction even more effective. Having many more Heavy traits with Cooldown Reduction will help make up for the lack of investment in skill damage. Cooldown Reduction is amazing for VC. Seriously, VC has so many Heavy skills, it's literally shouting to use Cooldown Reduction.

Heavy Power Assault
    Heavy Cannon Blade
    Heavy Revolver Cannon
    Heavy Harpoon Spear
    Heavy Ignition Crow - Napalm
    Heavy Giga Prominence

Some skills with naturally high cooldown will significantly improve such as Shadow Step, Deadly Raid, Ignition Crow - Incinerator, Bursting Blade, and Ifrit Flame.

You can also abuse Mental Crash + Breaking Fist even more with this investment in PvP.

Skill damage:
    It's really a 50/50 split between actives and Strength.

Summary:
    MP Cost Reduction and Cooldown Reduction will allow to maintain i-frames and survivability to its fullest because your skills will remain available consistently. Even if you throw everything into Skill Damage, there will be several cases you won't be able to one-shot or you overkill, which can cause a waste of mp. Potions have fixed cooldowns, which prevents you from being able to spam.

Personal experience:
    I've never had more amazing gameplay with a MP Cost + Cooldown Reduction build in both PvP and PvE. It's worth it.
    Try aiming for a Henir 2/5 + Wisdom 2/5 build with 20% Reduced Damage. The 20% Reduced Damage is not much of a stat investment (around 2.3k I believe which isn't much) and can help you in dire situations to take a few more hits.

Lanox Oracle
    Dec 2013
    What ImmortalSage said are valid points, however, I'd still like to ask the OP to consider both of these options and which one they'd like better. It sounds like something that would be up to preference.

The only minor rebuttal I have is that, in PvE, having IC-N uptime to reduce CDs (at least in SDs) should be a non-existent issue. If you don't use Heavy and don't have it on a Trans slot, it's down time should only be about 2.5-3 seconds. Keep in mind also that staying in IC-N applies a short buff repeatedly and will therefore last a short amount of time after the IC-N flames have disappeared (this is probably only about 0.5-1 second), and by this time, you should have already used up your burst rotation. Using anything under IC-N almost cancels out the extra CD any Heavy traits will add, but I think it should be up to the OP as to whether they want this CD further reduced or if they're rather have more damage.

(Keep in mind also that ImmortalSage and I have very different playstyles)

•