thread: PvE VC Question

Ruben Villager
    Sep 2011

PvE VC Question

Got some questions for PvE. 1st I'm gonna put my 9 or 10 Favorite skills on the class, I want opinions on them, examples things to comment, "Very good"
    "One of your main clearing/bossing abilities" "Okay" "Terrible" "Good utility, bad damage" "Good damage, but kinda awkward to use" Etc.
    After giving Opinions about the skills, I'd Like to know if there are any core skills that im missing, and which skill i should get rid of for it.

1.Bursting Blade
    2.Ignition Crow Incinerator
    3.Ignition Crow Napalm
    4.Shadow Step
    5.Ifrit Flame
    6.Harpoon Spear
    7.Giga Prominence
    8.Burning Buster
    9. Flame Sword Flurry

Also, What SD set do you guys think is best for VC in pve

All opinions appreciated

Altera Savior
    Feb 2013
    Both Crows, Shadow Step, and Harpoon Spear are good, keep them.

Bursting Blade is okay. Fairly long cast animation, decent anti-air.

Mostly use Ifrit Flame for grouping up mobs.

Giga Prominence is good for field clearing and bossing (if the target's large enough), but I personally don't carry it.

Burning Buster is a great HA, but the CD's too long for me to justify in keeping it.

Meh about Flame Sword Flurry.

You're missing out on Revolver Cannon -- Heavy RC does 8.6k% when overheated, not counting any buffs, and is on a short CD. I'd switch out Bursting Blade or Giga Prominence for it. I'd also switch out Flame Sword Flurry for either Haze Explosion (nice utility due to its slow) or Flame Sword.

As for a SD set, I'd go with ANG.

Feita Knight
    Nov 2012
    Staple skills:
    - Both Ignition Crows
    -Revolver Cannon
    -Shadow Step
    -Harpoon Spear

Anything else is whatever you feel is more comfortable and stable to use is situations.

And I have to disagree with you about Ifrit Flame only being used for mobbing and grouping.
    Its similar to Giga Prominence when using it against an opponent that is fairly large and does significant damage.
    Its underestimated as a good damaging tool.

Bursting Blade though like Rezialti mentioned is a good anti air but the cast animation doesn't feel long at all, it more so leaves you in fairly decent Iframes. What I do note is that Bursting Blade gives out hard hitstun making super armor enemies stagger longer.

Flame Sword Flurry is a bad choice, regular Flame Sword has more uses than it being air usable and quick to cast and back away after use. I personally preferred using Powerful Trait when I use to carry it in my skill tree for quick countering.

Giga Prominence is a nice addition given its new damage increase.
    Imo if you have ERP put into -Mp Cost(assuming your ERP is lv 90 or higher) I would get Light trait for Giga which makes it cost around 150-160mp.

Burning Buster is a great addition given its new damage increase being near 40k magical damage total. You can reduce the cd of it by using inside Ignition Crow-Napalms flames from 170 to 120. If you carry Concentrated El Essence and use it in the flames you can decrease the cd 60.
    60 second cooldown HA exclusive to VC.

And lastly I personally carry Haze and Ground impact do to Haze giving out a slow debuff and Ground Impacts Horizontal range with hard hitstun.

And for best set it would be a tie between ARG and Dragonic. ARG has many useful buffs and Dragonic has its increased crit rate and crit damage. If you bring Superhuman Apples you can reactivate Dragonics critical effect during awakening.

Hamel Guardian
    Dec 2014
    Commencing the Cromwell invocation.
    Harpoon spear is very solid, dealing high dmg and big as heck AoE. Beware of Overheating dmg tho.

Arguably IC-I and Ifrit Flames function quite similarly, only when dealing with immortal mobs like event's dungeon would Ifrit Flame's crows stuck with the mobs while IC-I's crow could pass through. IC-I don't group mobs, but passing through all obstacles and exploding, also spreading status effect. Ifrit having high DPS and not needing Overheating, while IC-I needing Overheating to achieve maximum AoE.

I don't really use Bursting Blade, partly because of IC-I's crow and Ifrit Flame's having near identical vertical range, and I had both Haze and Flame Sword so I could anti air just fine, most flying mobs are weak enough. The DPS is also meh.

IC-N vs Revolver Cannon: IC-N having longer cd but more utilities, like quite high MP regen, cd reduction, while RC dealing much higher dmg by the same cost, and higher dps. Consider getting no trait IC-N for utilities and building up MP and slashing cd for using other more cost effective skills.

Flame Sword Flurry should be expected as a tool to cornering mobs/bosses and moving them or stopping them, while Flame Sword is quicker usage and leaving you less vulnerable to bosses/mobs counterattacks, because of the long animation (tho Deadly Raid could also do the same, so if take Deadly Raid then consider not taking Flame Sword Flurry).

Giga Prominence dealing monstrous dmg, fitting for Heroic Hells and bossing, or groups of SDG eites. The Overheating dmg is also reasonable.

Recoil dmg from Overheating RC and Deadly Raid is absurdly high tho, overall you should aim to achieve balance between Actives and Super Actives, not getting as many SAs as possible.

SD set: like everyone mentioned.

Burning Buster is a great addition given its new damage increase being near 40k magical damage total. You can reduce the cd of it by using inside Ignition Crow-Napalms flames from 170 to 120. If you carry Concentrated El Essence and use it in the flames you can decrease the cd 60.
    60 second cooldown HA exclusive to VC.
    Wow thanks for this information.

Lanox Oracle
    Dec 2013
    Everyone else has already covered everything pretty nicely.

I personally use HA in SDs as a clearer/bossing (in some situations, the hitbox of the crows and the final explosion can be useful, such as 2-X's first room), and like S.J.D said, it's CD can be reduced to as little as 60 seconds. Technically, it's 66 (180 down to 126 from Flames of Victory, 126 down to 66 from Concentrated El's Essence), but that's still extremely handy. While I don't carry Concentrated El's Essence since I don't have enough money to fund myself with them, at least the 126 second CD makes it a lot more viable. I also use the HA as a sort of panic button in Heroics (if there are lots of tanky, grouped up mobs ahead of me, or I need i-frames, or mobs are spread out across platforms or a combination of those points, I'll use my HA) but I always make sure to throw out IC-N first. However, again, it's preference, especially if you run Strength stacking gloves and need to sacrifice some existing slots for more Strength skills to keep up stacks.

I used Bursting Blade for quite some time (forgot to switch it up for GP every single time), but it can be handy for anti-air especially in Heroic and dungeons with lots of platforms. I-frame can be handy as well.

How many SAs you get is up to you and your playstyle. I prefer to have 2 actives for trash clearing, Shadow Step, and SAs everywhere else, but SAs are especially important for your (burst) damage especially if you run Strength stacking gloves.

Bethma Guard
    Oct 2015
    Seeking Inner Peace
    Flame Sword: Flurry is only good for baiting -> gathering the monster trio in Add Dungeon if you don't want to use the MP to use Ifrit Flame to gather them. Otherwise, replace FS: Flurry with Revolver Cannon. Giga Prominence is amazing, yet you will start to find it weak since you likely will start to invest in Strength skills. If you really want to use Burning Buster, you will need to a lot of meticulous preparations as what Ankokou (S.J.D.) mentioned earlier with the cooldown decrease.

VC has a lot of viable options, yet it depends on what skill types you are focusing on and how well you know your skills. If you already made decent skill choices, then all you can do now is continue to tinker with these skills and learn about them more.

Since you seem like a heavy special actives user, you should watch Power Hotsan's VC gameplay. The only thing differences are that you don't have Revolver Cannon Cannon Blade, and Power Assault (good whiff to maintain Strength stack with Light trait).
    However, for VC only, you could take out Cannon Blade for Haze Explosion or Flame Sword.

Hopefully, Power Hotsan's video will help you develop your style.

Hamel Guardian
    Dec 2014
    Commencing the Cromwell invocation.

Lol 1 use of SA = 50% HP lost. The guy was hardcore tho, staying on the edge of death at low HP.

Lanox Oracle
    Dec 2013
    Lol 1 use of SA = 50% HP lost. The guy was hardcore tho, staying on the edge of death at low HP.
    I mean, it's something that you just get used to.

Hamel Guardian
    Feb 2012

Hotsan really likes his LaTale music doesn't he?
    I'm looking through his videos, and they're all either the game's default soundtrack or LaTale music.

•