Ruben Villager
    May 2015
    Hidden Village

Question Let's talk about Elsword (AKA Elboy)

It has been on my mind for a while because I feel as if KOG hasn't characterized elboy all to well in my eyes. He isn't developed into a hero or a leader like most main characters in books or anime nor is he shown character development/growth compared to his comrades. So I just wanted to ask why he is the main character and also what has he done in his journey that makes him a main character?

Also while I am on topic what makes most of his comrades follow him as the leader?

Sorry if my questions do not make sense.

Elder Citizen
    Mar 2014
    Altera Village
    It has been on my mind for a while because I feel as if KOG hasn't characterized elboy all to well in my eyes. He isn't developed into a hero or a leader like most main characters in books or anime nor is he shown character development/growth compared to his comrades. So I just wanted to ask why he is the main character and also what has he done in his journey that makes him a main character?

Also while I am on topic what makes most of his comrades follow him as the leader?

Sorry if my questions do not make sense.
    He's the brother of the previous game's Main Character, Elesis (Grand Chase).
    Which technically Elesis seems to take over again so the game should just be renamed to Elesis Online.
    Back then in Season 1/when the game first came out, he was the main character for that reason.

"Now" however, it seems Elesis as shown more importance to the story than Elsword until recently with the new continuation to the story, KOG is acting like Elsword is important again so we'll see how that turns out.

Ruben Villager
    Jan 2017
    Illinois, United States
    He:

1). Talked Raven into being a good guy again.

2). Became Eve's first human friend.

3). Saved Ruben's El Crystal, which is what the early-game's entire plot revolves around.

4). Was going to sacrifice himself to save the rest of the El Search Party in the Velder Clear video, but Elesis stormed in and stole the show

After that, the rest of the "Mid-game" Arc (Hamel-Lanox) is Elsword trying to live up to being the leader of the El Search Party, and stepping out of his sister's shadow. He finally achieves that goal in Elysion when he duels and defeats Solace in single combat, and revives the original El Crystal.

Problem with character development in this game is that since there's so many of 'em its hard to give enough spotlight to each to show their growth.

Hamel Guardian
    Jun 2015
    Trying to burst through Fiore.
    He's the brother of the previous game's Main Character, Elesis (Grand Chase).
    Which technically Elesis seems to take over again so the game should just be renamed to Elesis Online.
    Back then in Season 1/when the game first came out, he was the main character for that reason.

"Now" however, it seems Elesis as shown more importance to the story than Elsword until recently with the new continuation to the story, KOG is acting like Elsword is important again so we'll see how that turns out.
    Elysion .

Sander Chieftain
    Sep 2015
    At Nemmy's feet
    2). Became Eve's first human friend.
    Highlight for emphasis on who is really important.
    Thing is, most character development was previously done in job change quests, which are now gone. If you want to have a clear view of his personality, secondary sources which are not the god-awful LN might be a thing. Okay, since the Anime will likely be crap, that limits us to ElType. Yay.

(I don't really see development in other characters either. The story is so short and skippable, that it's not even worth abridging any longer.)

Hamel Guardian
    Feb 2012
    Highlight for emphasis on who is really important.
    Go away trash.

Job quests didn't really do much for character development either. It was just them doing something to obtain a power.

The story has always been more event driven rather than character driven. Heck until story revamp the only character that would ever appear in dialogue was your current character and they just had their single devoid of personality filler line ever 4 story quests. At least after story revamp each character has dialogue which is indicative to their personality and tropes and there is actual interaction between the main cast and NPCs.

Ruben Villager
    Mar 2016
    idk he seems like your typical MC.

Altera Savior
    Jun 2011
    1. I though Elsword and Raven both wanted to destroy Eve before she was released from her hibernation? It was Rena and Aisha that saved her.

Although, I will admit, besides Eve, Elsword does show the most compassion to the nasods more than most of the other characters. He was practically gonna suicide trying to save Yuno. Eve makes constant remarks on Elsword lack of intelligence, yet, wasn't Code Nemesis activated, mostly due to Eve's observation on Elsword (and his style and such)?

But that's just the job changes, where the most character development seems to happen.

2. To me it seems like, Elsword is just a placeholder character. Lowe is the El search party leader. Elsword is just carrying out orders. He almost get's pwned by berthe which is where Aisha and Rena come in. Rena kept the 2 together, otherwise they might've killed each other and thus no el search party. Well, not true, Rena's job was also to restore the El, so this would've became Rena Online. All of the other characters that show up run into the main 3 eventually through uniquely timed events, which, the main 3 just happened to be at the right place, right time in order to meet the others. They all have their own goals and such, but under different circumstances, they all might've tried to kill each other (for example, Eve and Add). Then, Elesis takes over pretty much until the later quest where they try to make Elboy important.

Idk, it seems like only few of the characters actual mission is to restore the El. Everyone else has their own goals and is pretty much just hanging out.

3. Based on what I've seen, job change is the only character development that Elboy undergoes. Lord Knight displays Elsword's serious, more mature side. Rune Slayer, laid back attitude. Infinity Sword, arrogance. Yet, these traits don't really add anything into the story. Which is rather disappointing, like, Elsword goes from age 13 to 16 between any of his job changes. He doesn't become closer or more distant from any of the characters. there's also no ship The interaction between him and the rest of the cast isn't really expanded on in any way. For example, I would've liked to see Aisha and Els get along at least somewhat better versus Aisha constantly being rude to Elsword, calling him dummy and such. I mean, they've spent 3 years traveling together (during job changes from Elder ~ Feita. Also, it took 3 years to get from Elder to Feita??). They don't need to develop any sort of romantic feelings or anything, but at least some sort of respect/personality change. Same with the other characters.

It kinda makes learning about your character unrewarding, since things like their very skills don't really have a backstory with them. For example, what makes Elsword different from every other Lord Knight? Most of his skills, some sort of red knight (either Lowe, His sister, or the red knight mobs display) is able to use. Elboy doesn't really use them too differently. They don't even expand on how he learned his skills, just where. He went to Velder and learned them, or something. Or, someone stated a while back that Blade Master trained him. I mean, idk. Also, what about Transcendence?

4. All of the other characters have a somewhat deeper backstory, Except Aisha, she's pretty vague. Raven has with Velder and Seris. Rena and her elven stuff. Eve and everything nasod. Chung and everything Hamel. Ara kinda feels like a mix of Els and Aisha, just chasing after her brother, and wanting to become stronger. She originally didn't care about the El. Lu and Ciel are literally just hanging around, I mean, searching for power, but nothing else. Rose doesn't even interact with the cast, and she even has a deeper backstory. Elesis has a deeper back story. Add and nasods.

Elsword just wants to be with his sister, and restore el to prove that he's strong...? like....where's the rest of his family? His orgin (Ruben?)? etc.

Edit: This is just what I've read in-game. Not including Eltype.

I also didn't read every story quest, I should do that lol.

Elder Citizen
    Mar 2014
    In a Popcorn Cup
    Apart from being Elesis' sister, Elsword starts his adventure out of his will to restore the Ruben El Crystal (initially) (which is the first of his "heroic" deeds that are about to follow after Ruben), and he gains support from people who have seemingly the same goal with him and choose to follow him.
    His overall personality isn't the one we usually expect to see in a "leader". He looks more like an immature brat and that trait doesn't help us take him seriously. However, that gives him a charm that makes him shine in cases like Raven's reformation and Eve's introduction to the El Search party.
    If there were other leaders instead of Elsword, Raven and Eve would have been treated with hostility, given that in early story the Nasods were at one point "enemies".

Even though running gags like Elsword vs Aisha banters help the story being lightened up with humor, their overuse, alongside the introduction of supporting chars with deeper backstory, undermine Elsword as protagonist. Also we were not given any clear highlights until the latest story revamps about Elsword's significance.
    Ain's presence, thoughts and actions, as well as an outsider's remarks about Elsword (eg Rose's Altera SD ending quotes) are notable examples of that.

Hamel Guardian
    Dec 2014
    Commencing the Cromwell invocation.
    It boils down to either Elsword or Rena eligible for leader of El Search Party, who initially having only 3 members, Aisha did not count because she was just dragged into the whole thing when on her road to find the Ring of Mimir and saved Elsword from Berthe. According to goals, Elsword, Rena, Ain and Raven having very similar goal: finding the El shards, and after 10-6 and 10-7 were released, restoring the El is possible and a thing now.

Then Ain was released and added some dialogues, and turned out Elsword had always wanted to ultimately restoring the El Crystal - which he just did, when at that time he didn't even know why he wanted to.

Spoiler:
    Elsword: Now, shall we get to Ruben Village?
    Ain: Wait, Elsword. Why are you trying to take the El to the village?
    Elsword: Huh? What are you talking about, Ain? This El Shard protects Ruben Village. The village will be in big trouble if it's gone.
    Ain: To protect the village...? Does it matter now? What matters is that we need to restore the El. There's no point in having a single small shard... if all the El Shards are gathered.. the El will be restored.
    Elsword: Don't worry about it! I will find the El Lady and put the El back to its original spot!
    Ain: !!!
    Aisha: Do you still believe in the legend? You are a grown ♥♥♥ guy...
    Elsword: It's not a legend! It's real!
    Ain: ..... Elsword, why do you want to restore the El?
    Elsword: Huh? Mmm... Yeah... I've never thought about it...
    Ain: (The energy that I felt from what he just said was... the same one I felt back then...! Now it's clear. The one that has the same root as mine... Elsword will find the El Lady and restore the El no matter what. He would never give up on restoring the El... But Elsword is not fully trained yet. I should help him...)... I understand. Let's get it back to Ruben.
    Elsword: Haha! Thanks, Ain!

Then at Feita:
    Raven: Elsword... His lightheartedness is bringing everyone's morale up... Impressive.
    Rena: Sometimes he is childish and foolish.. But he's still our leader in the end. We all trust and rely on him.
    So Rena acknowledged Elsword as leader, so she herself didn't think of herself as such, so Elsword became de facto leader of El Search Party, Lowe was just de jure leader.

Elesis can't be the leader, because of her goal was to rid the world of monster infestations, this is El Search Party after all, she just joined because Velder was invaded and she was on solo mission then ended up bumped into and saving Elsword, otherwise maybe she thought Elsword was still at Ruben village waiting for her to return.

=========

...Technically the story just planned to drag on to Altera, after offing King Nasod, at that time and the game was on the brink of close down and about to go bankrupt, then Eve - the "final fantasy" was released and the game was saved, and KoG had money to make demon invasion arcs (Feita -> Lanox).

So the "El Search" part was vague and people thought defeating demons were much more significant than finding El Shards, and Elesis appeared in 2 regions clear vid making her looked more important than the rest.

But I beg to differ, that was before Epic Story Quest revamp and lore material was scarce so Elesis looked more "significant". But after Epic Story Quest, we had a clearer view about the abilities and contributions of people who were not put in region clear vids or promotional comics, including Elsword's.

So yeah, after 10-6 and 10-7 was released, I repeat, restoring El is a thing now, so Elsword having the ultimate goal to restore El, so he is main character.

•