: Should MMs be banned?

• No.

45 62.50%
  • Yes.

27 37.50%
    Hamel Guardian
    Oct 2013
    Hell's Third River
    no one has ever done that and if they tried they would get ignored because its not a scam. no one in any game even this one has ever had that issue or case ever be a thing. you're trying to go full safespace for a space that doesnt need that kind of saftey.
    Regardless, the potential for it to occur does exist. Maybe KoG might be affected in other ways since their main company is in Korea. Frankly, I'm not well-versed on legal issues between different countries, so I can't toss around any other possibilities and support them with factual info like laws and such.

I'm not trying to go safespace on the matter. I'm just giving my opinion on it and using my own deductions based on what I've looked up.
    Hell, why not just have money matches be first approved by GMs? It's certainly a possible solution to illegal money matches.

After all, didn't you make the thread to get some opinions/solutions on the matter?

Ruben Villager
    Jan 2015
    No simple.

Velder Noble
    Jun 2012
    Just west of wierd...
    Regardless, the potential for it to occur does exist. Maybe KoG might be affected in other ways since their main company is in Korea. Frankly, I'm not well-versed on legal issues between different countries, so I can't toss around any other possibilities and support them with factual info like laws and such.

I'm not trying to go safespace on the matter. I'm just giving my opinion on it and using my own deductions based on what I've looked up.
    Hell, why not just have money matches be first approved by GMs? It's certainly a possible solution to illegal money matches.

After all, didn't you make the thread to get some opinions/solutions on the matter?
    There are no effects(at least toward the company) from money matching, the potential for this to happen is not there, when someone loses a MM in Street Fighter or any competitive game, the loser can't complain to the company who made those games. MMs are a mutual agreement with no obligation. you have to understand that this company sees it as gambling when it's in fact not and this is why it's not illegal in any other game. while they can make up their own rules that doesn't stop it from being a harmless endeavor that is commonplace everywhere else.

Also, GM approved Money Matching is a disaster waiting to happen. not only because of the time and hassle it would be for GMs, but for other reasons we're aware of with them like their biases to some players.

the thread is open to input and you're free to try to participate, but Ill be nice and instead of telling you that you have no idea what you're talking about, suggest that you do some more research on the matter before coming up with a solution thats hasn't been well though out.

Hamel Guardian
    Oct 2013
    Hell's Third River
    There are no effects(at least toward the company) from money matching, the potential for this to happen is not there, when someone loses a MM in Street Fighter or any competitive game, the loser can't complain to the company who made those games. MMs are a mutual agreement with no obligation. you have to understand that this company sees it as gambling when it's in fact not and this is why it's not illegal in any other game. while they can make up their own rules that doesn't stop it from being a harmless endeavor that is commonplace everywhere else.

Also, GM approved Money Matching is a disaster waiting to happen. not only because of the time and hassle it would be for GMs, but for other reasons we're aware of with them like their biases to some players.

the thread is open to input and you're free to try to participate, but Ill be nice and instead of telling you that you have no idea what you're talking about, suggest that you do some more research on the matter before coming up with a solution thats hasn't been well though out.
    If MMs are by basis a mutual agreement, then wouldn't that then mean the participants would not be obligated to stand by their agreements? There is nothing that says a loser "can't complain to the company who made those games." The company can't consider themselves outside the loop of a money match because, at the end of the day, their games are still being used as indirect avenues for the transfer of money.

Just like how players in a money match are able to decide the rules, shouldn't the company who owns and actively monitors their game be allowed to set their own rules on the matter? While you may think money matches are a harmless endeavor, it may not be the case from the company's perspective. Even if they aren't experiencing direct legal repercussions, it doesn't mean they aren't affected at all (an example would be negative publicity).

As for time/hassle, don't GMs have the right to turn down requests if they are busy? Also, couldn't a couple staff be set aside to manage only PvP betting? As for the bias to some players, couldn't this be countered by simply recording matches (like how police are starting to wear bodycams when making arrests and such)?

I'd like it if you could provide some examples on the matter instead of just stating that I "have no idea what (I'm) talking about."

Ruben Villager
    Oct 2014
    If MMs are by basis a mutual agreement, then wouldn't that then mean the participants would not be obligated to stand by their agreements? There is nothing that says a loser "can't complain to the company who made those games." The company can't consider themselves outside the loop of a money match because, at the end of the day, their games are still being used as indirect avenues for the transfer of money.

Just like how players in a money match are able to decide the rules, shouldn't the company who owns and actively monitors their game be allowed to set their own rules on the matter? While you may think money matches are a harmless endeavor, it may not be the case from the company's perspective. Even if they aren't experiencing direct legal repercussions, it doesn't mean they aren't affected at all (an example would be negative publicity).

As for time/hassle, don't GMs have the right to turn down requests if they are busy? Also, couldn't a couple staff be set aside to manage only PvP betting? As for the bias to some players, couldn't this be countered by simply recording matches (like how police are starting to wear bodycams when making arrests and such)?

I'd like it if you could provide some examples on the matter instead of just stating that I "have no idea what (I'm) talking about."
    ...Money matches have occured in Elsword and many other games without incident and independent of policing done by the gaming company.

Hypothetically, lets say someone decides to have a $25 money match with a fellow player, best 2/3. Then, player A wins and player B decides to run off without playing.
    What is the result? 2 to 3 matches were played. That's it. If no money was exchanged then people will no longer have money matches with player B and the competetive community won't take him seriously. Literally all that happened was 2 to 3 matches were played, probably publically for amusement. Nothing more. Not a big deal. There is no grounds for legal action. If player B does pay and regrets it, that sucks. There is no grounds for legal action. It really isn't a big deal.

Velder Noble
    Jun 2012
    Just west of wierd...
    If MMs are by basis a mutual agreement, then wouldn't that then mean the participants would not be obligated to stand by their agreements? "
    correct. its a ♥♥♥♥ move but the winner did not actually lose(or gain) anything, so by definition it cannot be considered a "scam" or even a "gamble"(other than someone possibly not holding up their end of a deal theyre not obligated to)

the company sets the rules by making the game and the game itself has set rules in a sense that the gameplay is how the rules are set.

you're still adding on unneeded workload to what is essentially a 3rd party in this case. there's no need for regulation between two consenting players as far as MMs go.

There has to be an example of someone getting "scammed" through a MM for there to be a case against it. if there isn't then the argument was flawed from the start.

Sander Chieftain
    Sep 2015
    At Nemmy's feet
    If you are able to settle your score without involving anyone but the participants, then by all means go ahead and bet as much as you want on a broken PvP systems. Even if it was legal, I'd consider that one of the most stupid ideas that could come to one's mind.

Hamel Guardian
    Jan 2013
    Gambling
    Peeps are free to do whatevs with their wallets

Hamel Guardian
    Oct 2013
    Hell's Third River
    If you are able to settle your score without involving anyone but the participants, then by all means go ahead and bet as much as you want on a broken PvP systems. Even if it was legal, I'd consider that one of the most stupid ideas that could come to one's mind.
    Kay, I can roll with that.

If it's between two people, then it's fine as is.
    If it officially involves an outside group placing monetary bets during the actual match, it's probably best not to have it allowed, since that could actually lead to scamming if the two people doing PvP are working together and such.

Altera Savior
    Aug 2012
    If it doesn't even involve them why does it matter what the opinion of others is about money matches?
    Just do it.

•