thread: help to choose

Ruben Villager
    Oct 2013

help to choose

Hi guys,

Today i just made a Rena. but allot of things i dont know. so i got some questions

1. what kind of class of rena is the best for pve/ bossing and why ?

2. what kind of skills should i choose? i got a B slot.

3. what kind of weapon attribute should i use?

Elder Citizen
    Dec 2015
    Elder village,ruben 1
    GA is best rena class for pve,pvp,ereda but i changed my ga >ws bcause i didnt enjoy playing her.Ws is fun but lacks in pve tho(really bad at pve),Nw is perfect combination of both Fun and strong too.

Well while leveling siege will be your best option for all rena's once 99 u can have acces to all skills so cant really tell what skills to use from lvl 1.

Except Ws rena's can go with almost all attributes even light.

Ruben Villager
    Sep 2015
    1) GA is hands down the best at bossing as far as Rena is concerned. Stigma Shot, Freezing Arrow, Gungnir, and the best Siege Mode make her outshine the other two when dealing with large and bulky bosses. NW has Briar Trap, which is disgustingly strong, and dare I say the best MP generation, making her the most versatile. WS is purely there to assist the team, but can occasionally do high burst damage when she stacks all of her buffs together. Without Dark, huge MP reduction, or item abuse, WS is going to spend most of her time trying to keep Airelinnas on the team.

2) Siege is a very cost efficient choice for all Renas. Perfect Storm is also a great option for clearing if you get the Gigantic trait. The skills I mentioned in the previous answer cover the primary skills the Renas of different classes should focus on.

3) You shouldn't bother with an attribute early on. You're just going to replace the weapon anyhow and people pay handsomely for El Shards right now. Light El Shards are the cheapest, so if you want to put something on a weapon without breaking budget, go Light. Later on, Water is good on GA, since she likes crippling enemies and making them easier to kill. Wind is good on NW, since she tends to have KD issues if you use her xxx strings a bit too much on bosses (get Persistent Briar Trap for more KD reduction). Dark on WS to alleviate her horrible MP generation and to offer additional healing to her trying-to-tank-without-super-armor hybrid style of play.

Elder Citizen
    Dec 2015
    Look at videos online, pick which Rena attracts you the most. Although GA is the best in pve. NW is good, and WS isn't very good just because her mp recovery is abysmal. Otherwise, WS is very beneficial to a team and can pack a serious kick when fueled.

Ruben Villager
    May 2016
    1. I would not attribute Light for PVE. Light is an attribute more suited for PVP, but even then is highly resisted. Don't bother with it.

2. Perfect Storm is not a clearing skilll, though it can function as one under the correct circumstances. Clearing is not its primary function regardless of the Rena you pick.

3. Briar deals its large damage over a long period of time. Generally in PVE, if things are going to die at a tap, which is most things up until Atlas, Briar won't last long enough to deal its full damage. The downsides to using a Trap build is that you're going to be lacking in AOE and i-frames depending on the number of actives you decide to bring along. Come late game where things can and will one-shot you, unless you're confident enough to be able to dodge boss attacks and recognise their patterns, I would suggest a Special Active build instead.

That aside, in general, GA has the best with respect to bossing and mobbing but lacks solid clearing skills. NW clears the best, and WS is just fast but lacks damage. In terms of survivability, a GA doesn't have much if any i-frames and stays alive through her very long range; while the other 2 paths do have quite a bit.

Ruben Villager
    Sep 2015
    Light doesn't get in the way THAT much, and the damage reduction is good for less geared characters.

If Briar ticks once after the initial application, it has already dealt more damage than any other active for the time it took to use it. So if they die within 2 seconds of the Briar, it's a slight damage loss. For bosses, Briar Trap is disgusting for a single active skill.

Eradication is a much better clearing skill than Perfect Storm. For non NWs, Perfect Storm is the go to skill if there are enemies 2 platforms above you and in front of you. Or if you don't want to spend 300 MP to kill the group of mobs when 200 MP plus a tiny refund + heal can get the job done. For long portions of a map without platforms, Phoenix Strike is perfect.

And one-shot endgame is only Heroic Hell mode bosses. Pretty sure she isn't going to be worrying about that until she at least gets some +8 SD gear at minimum. The only bosses that one-shot outside are Karis's True form, Scar, possibly Maya, and True Solace.

Lanox Oracle
    Dec 2013
    Regarding attributes, most importantly, you miss out on extra damage when socketing Light instead of Wind (in the case of GA and NW, they lose out on more because of their ability to proc it). Yes, the damage reduction from Light can help when you're less geared, but in the end, gear mainly helps you to survive because you can kill before getting killed. Even then, there's nothing wrong with learning to avoid damage either by dodging or using whatever invincibility frames your character has.

Ruben Villager
    May 2016
    Light doesn't get in the way THAT much, and the damage reduction is good for less geared characters.
    Relying on RNG for survivability is not a good mentality to have. Also, why attribute Light at all when it screws with grouping? For Hell mode, Light isn't going to see much of a proc either unless you run Shadow's Descent. Having Light for Henir is an even worse nightmare especially for players that don't have the patience to wait before starting to hit.

If Briar ticks once after the initial application, it has already dealt more damage than any other active for the time it took to use it. So if they die within 2 seconds of the Briar, it's a slight damage loss. For bosses, Briar Trap is disgusting for a single active skill.
    What I'm trying to address is the sudden influx of trap users. A lot of players don't recognise that by going with a Trap build, they're losing at least 2 i-frames. For a new player that's deciding which Rena to build and taking into account build paths, a Trap-based NW isn't beginner friendly as there would be much less i-frames and hence a reduction in overall survivability. I probably should've been more precise in my wording.

Eradication is a much better clearing skill than Perfect Storm. For non NWs, Perfect Storm is the go to skill if there are enemies 2 platforms above you and in front of you. Or if you don't want to spend 300 MP to kill the group of mobs when 200 MP plus a tiny refund + heal can get the job done. For long portions of a map without platforms, Phoenix Strike is perfect.
    Or you could just Siege because y'know, it tracks.

And one-shot endgame is only Heroic Hell mode bosses. Pretty sure she isn't going to be worrying about that until she at least gets some +8 SD gear at minimum. The only bosses that one-shot outside are Karis's True form, Scar, possibly Maya, and True Solace.
    "Bosses will never be able to oneshot me unless I get to those dungeons" is a horrible mentality to have. Doing Henir Challenge with an actives build already requires quite a bit of footwork, let alone Hell mode, and they can't usually OHKO. At this rate, most people are going to grab some form of 4D gear as it's now the new norm. i-frames and safety are far more valuable in most situations, and this is true especially for Hell mode.

Speaking of oneshots that aren't considered your "endgame", the Nasod Inspector, Alterasia Type-H, Runaway Behemoth and Helputt are fully able to oneshot. Alterasia Type-H can drop up to 80% of your HP with just one Armablade, Nasod Inspector can kill you from just touching its flares, Runaway Behemoth's cage is a damage check where if you don't break the cage your entire party will die, and is considered one of the harder bosses by new players. Helputt's PoC will be oneshotting people who don't know how to look out for it. I'd say there are a lot more sources of oneshots outside of your "endgame".

Ruben Villager
    Sep 2015
    Ah! You're right about those secret dungeon bosses! All the SD bosses have attacks that need to be respected. Even Bone Dragon can kill you without even needing to attack! I totally forgot about them! Although... with the Light debuff, that's 30% less one-shotting potential!

If Light doesn't proc inside Hell Mode, then it doesn't even matter, since no element will really proc, unless you're implying that mobs in there have unequal resistance across the board. The grouping issue would only occur with mobs in normal or secret dungeons, but those guys die in one hit anyways, since Briar Trap would never get the opportunity to tick twice. Only the elite mobs would really survive long enough and I usually don't like tackling more than one in one spot anyways. Even then, there is a bright side! Even if Light makes it hard to group, it also makes it impossible to KD the mob! It allows a lot of LK and AP special actives to be used without making the enemy fly all over the place!

And Siege is also a good option for clearing very limited areas! Mainly one platform above you, since you have to space it just right for it to start tracking. If there is even one enemy too close to you, you'll just fire it in the usual arc. From my experiences, those mobs really hate staying in just the right spot with 3 other people moving them around with all sorts of wizardry. I tend to just use it to attack enemies who fall within the original arc when I use it to clear.

Lanox Oracle
    Dec 2013
    Ah! You're right about those secret dungeon bosses! All the SD bosses have attacks that need to be respected. Even Bone Dragon can kill you without even needing to attack! I totally forgot about them! Although... with the Light debuff, that's 30% less one-shotting potential! If it procs. And only if it procs. Like Storm said, relying on RNG for survivability isn't exactly the best thing to have.

If Light doesn't proc inside Hell Mode, then it doesn't even matter, since no element will really proc, unless you're implying that mobs in there have unequal resistance across the board. The grouping issue would only occur with mobs in normal or secret dungeons, but those guys die in one hit anyways, since Briar Trap would never get the opportunity to tick twice. Only the elite mobs would really survive long enough and I usually don't like tackling more than one in one spot anyways. Even then, there is a bright side! Even if Light makes it hard to group, it also makes it impossible to KD the mob! It allows a lot of LK and AP special actives to be used without making the enemy fly all over the place!
    Though this is situational, you'd still want to be able to group multiple Shadow mobs together where applicable to save time and resources. And... the bright side only works if it procs.

And Siege is also a good option for clearing very limited areas! Mainly one platform above you, since you have to space it just right for it to start tracking. If there is even one enemy too close to you, you'll just fire it in the usual arc. From my experiences, those mobs really hate staying in just the right spot with 3 other people moving them around with all sorts of wizardry. I tend to just use it to attack enemies who fall within the original arc when I use it to clear.
    Perfect Storm at this point just seems like a very highly preference pick in my opinion. I don't like it for a number of reasons, but I don't think that it's relevant to anything for me to say them.

•