thread: help to choose

Ruben Villager
    Sep 2015
    O_o Uh... well, when you put it that way, all the elements are kinda RNG reliant too, right?

Lanox Oracle
    Dec 2013
    O_o Uh... well, when you put it that way, all the elements are kinda RNG reliant too, right?
    Yes, Wind is RNG, but at least you gain more benefits out of it than Light, especially as Light has no offensive properties at all. More damage leads to time efficiency.

Water is a different story since it is a debuff that you can stack (so once you have it on a boss, it'll do it's job).

Ruben Villager
    Sep 2015
    I suppose that's simply a matter of opinion, although I'd like to think that no element is subjectively superior to others as long as some people find use with it. I mean, if the boss stopped moving for 4.5 seconds when affected by Light, you wouldn't have to go out of your way to avoid the boss's attacks during that period, meaning you could focus more on dealing damage. I think that might count as a offensive increase!

If you use Water, you have to reapply it before it expires! Can you reapply it every 10 seconds? I'd like to think so! But wait! The Light debuff also lasts 10 seconds! So keeping the 30% damage reduction up full time on a boss seems about as likely as keeping three stacks of Freezing on them! Of course, pros will want the armor reduction over the damage reduction any day, since they can dodge the boss attacks like it's second nature. But, less experienced people who aren't conditioned enough to use special actives every time the boss attacks them may appreciate it.

B-besides, I was only suggesting taking Light because it was the cheapest one! I didn't say that I thought it was the best, but I'm not saying it's useless either! Water and Wind shards cost a lot more and underleveled players may not be able to afford them! Maybe once they get better, I'd suggest taking an element that adapts better to their playstyle!

Lanox Oracle
    Dec 2013
    Just another note, but it's very likely for the duration to be much shorter than 4.5 seconds due to resistance, but I suppose that you can say that the Water debuff wouldn't last for 10 seconds either.

Otherwise, I think our main point was that Light would be more disruptive so it may be better to get nothing and save up for Wind, but that's not too much of a strong point to give anyhow since it's relatively situational.

Ruben Villager
    May 2016
    I suppose that's simply a matter of opinion, although I'd like to think that no element is subjectively superior to others as long as some people find use with it. I mean, if the boss stopped moving for 4.5 seconds when affected by Light, you wouldn't have to go out of your way to avoid the boss's attacks during that period, meaning you could focus more on dealing damage. I think that might count as a offensive increase!
    The reason Water and Wind are superior (and hence why they're more expensive) is because Water carries a debuff that doesn't hamper grouping efforts, while applying a defence down debuff and slowing attack speed. Wind is also popular because of its KD reduction and bonus damage, and this again doesn't hamper grouping efforts. Even if mobs in Hell mode didn't have close to maximum resists, it's safe to say most people would prefer a Water proc over a Light proc.

If you use Water, you have to reapply it before it expires! Can you reapply it every 10 seconds? I'd like to think so! But wait! The Light debuff also lasts 10 seconds! So keeping the 30% damage reduction up full time on a boss seems about as likely as keeping three stacks of Freezing on them! Of course, pros will want the armor reduction over the damage reduction any day, since they can dodge the boss attacks like it's second nature. But, less experienced people who aren't conditioned enough to use special actives every time the boss attacks them may appreciate it.
    Being able to dodge and learn boss patterns come with practice. I wouldn't attribute something that helps with survivability and learning for the first month or so before becoming obsolete. It would be a waste of resources in my opinion. Also, relying on a Water proc as your primary source of damage would be silly at best. You don't attributes your weapon and base your damage output around an attribute proc, you attribute weapons for the off chance you get a proc to be able to deal bonus damage instead. They certainly do help, but are not mandatory.

B-besides, I was only suggesting taking Light because it was the cheapest one! I didn't say that I thought it was the best, but I'm not saying it's useless either! Water and Wind shards cost a lot more and underleveled players may not be able to afford them! Maybe once they get better, I'd suggest taking an element that adapts better to their playstyle!
    Elements are much simpler than that. They all boil down to "can the class I'm playing proc them or not". I wouldn't suggest even bothering to attribute any element on a CBS, for example. I can't think of a better way to word what I want to say regarding this than "Just because you can attribute an element doesn't mean you have to".

Hamel Guardian
    Mar 2011
    Canada, Ontario, Markham
    tl;dr

GA = Siege + gungnir + f.arrow + stigma
    NW = briar + rage fungus + other mambo jumbo RNG proc
    WS = :notlikethis: unless you want to torture yourself

•